2 minutes reading time
Form Friday: High Plank Kick Throughs
Happy Form Friday! Today I will be explaining a full-body exercise that will work your shoulders, core and glutes; while adding cardio to your workout! I am describing the High Plank Kick Throughs! Now, let's get you set-up!
GETTING INTO POSITION
- First get into a high plank position with your feet and hands shoulder-width apart. TIP: Keep shoulders over wrists to protect your shoulders.
- Engage your core and glutes to protect your lower back.
TIP: If you are new to this exercise, start out slow. Once you have the motion down, push your pace.
- Initiate with an exhale.
- In one sweeping motion, rotate your body to the left and kick your right leg through. TIP: Keep your legs as straight as possible. DO NOT completely lock-out your stabilizing arm because we want this arm ready for the turns.
- Pivot on your stabilizing foot.
- Using your left arm, touch your right toes. TIP: If you forget which hand and foot touches, remember you are supporting your body diagonally. Ex: Right hand and left leg are down. So, your opposite limbs are touching.
- Inhale and bring your hand and foot back to a high plank position and repeat on other side. TIP 1: Keep your shoulder over your wrist of your stabilizing arm. DO NOT let you body drift back. TIP 2: Keep your hips level. DO NOT let your butt come up high. DO NOT let your hips droop low.
Overall TIP: The faster you move, the more intense your workout. If you lose your balance, slow down; or even stop and reset.
A couple things you can do here:
- If you are unable to maintain good form, decrease the intensity by keeping your hands on the floor and tap-down the foot that kicks through. TIP: Make sure you are still pivoting your chest and head to look down at the tapping foot.
- If you have any wrist injuries, or pain, you can place your forearms on a sandbag and slide your foot through. This is actually harder to do because you're body is lower; but it is better for your wrists.
That's everything for this week! I hope this makes your workouts more efficient! If you know anyone that could benefit from our blogs and videos, please share! Until next time, make each day AWESOME!